If you are suffering from dull constant ache or a sudden shooting back pain that keeps you awake in the night then you have come to right place. This is not just your problem alone, over 80% of Americans face back-pain at some time in their lives. Memory Foam Mattress are one way you can alleviate back pain and have sound sleep.
In general, its is important to maintain a right posture during sleep(as well as in the day). Therefore memory foam mattresses can help you achieve that. Remember that we spend one-third of a day on bed. So body-conforming and pressure-relieving features in memory foam mattresses will help to gain better spinal alignment.
However, do you know which is the best memory foam mattress to buy in India? This post will help you with guidance and best products.
List of Best Foam Mattresses in India
To help you figure out which mattress is right for you, we’ve rounded up some of the best memory foam mattresses for this year and noted why we like each.
|Memory Foam Mattress||Warranty||Apprx Cost|
|The Sleep Company SmartGRID Luxe 8″||10 years||INR 29,500/-|
|Wakefit Orthopaedic||10 years||INR 13,800/-|
|Sleepyhead 3-layered Orthopaedic||10 years||INR 11,000/-|
|Dreamzee Ortho-Back||5 years||INR 27,500/-|
|Take Care 8- Inch Orthopaedic||25 years||INR 13,000/-|
|Extra Sleep Memory Foam||10 years||INR 19,500/-|
|SleepyCat Plus 8-inch||10 years||INR 19,500/-|
|Durfi Mattress 5-Inch Orthopedic||10 years||INR 7,100/-|
|SleepX Ortho Mattress||3 years||INR 13,800/-|
|Wake-Up Ortho Memory Foam||10 years||INR 19,500|
Video Review of Orthopedic Mattress
Detailed Review of Best Foam Mattresses in India
Compared to traditional mattresses that are built with a layer of steel coils that wear down and cause sagging over time, memory foam mattresses are made with layers of highly durable foam that mold to your body and provide support for years. As a result, memory foam is often a good option for people who suffer from back pain, toss and turn in the night or deal with a restless sleeping partner.
What we think? Despite the minor flaw that the manufacturer could rectify soon, the mattress is the best for orthopaedic patients and healthy people, alike.
Here is a mattress that conforms to all quality norms to offer the highest degree of comfort and convenience to orthopaedic patients. Smart Grid technology is an advanced and patented technology. It provides more significant support than what a conventional memory foam mattress gives.
This technology offers twice the back support and plush comfort. The areas under your shoulders and hips are soft and comfy, whereby you do not turn and toss around in discomfort. The back area gets more support to maintain the spine in its natural contour.
This mattress features innovative technology, Smart Sleep Technology. The technique defines the mattress’ structure. The support or base comes in the form of 2″ high-density foam for higher durability.
The next layer is the 4″ soft foam for providing additional plush and re-bounce. The 2″ Smart Grid layer is the second one from the top to provide the ultimate relief from pain.
The velvet soft and cool breathable quilted cover completes the exquisite structure.
Free Airflow technology ensures smooth airflow through the more than 2500 air channels to keep you cool and comfortable. Smart Grid technology offers the following benefits.
- The open structure promotes airflow and eliminates sweating.
- There is no sagging, and thereby the occupants get sound sleep.
- It provides comfort to orthopaedic patients by aligning their spine to its natural shape.
- The motion isolation feature ensures that you do not disturb your patient if you toss and turn around at night.
This mattress comes in various sizes, single, double, Queen, and King. The bed is manufactured from food-grade material. Therefore, it is non-toxic and hypoallergenic, thereby proving to be safe for the entire family.
This mattress lasts long, as is evident from the ten-year manufacturer warranty.
Pros: Good things
- Smart Grid technology is excellent because it reduces sweating while providing the best comfort for orthopaedic patients.
- The motion isolation feature makes it popular.
Cons: Poor things
- The grid cushioning between two people is slightly hard.
What do we think? Minor issues persist, but this mattress ranks as one of the best in India for orthopaedic use.
SleepyCat has upgraded its technology. This mattress is a definite improvement over its previous product.
This premium 8-inch memory foam mattress provides the ideal support for orthopaedic patients.
The structure of this mattress comprises a 6″ high-density foam and 2″ gel memory foam to enhance the airflow and maintain the temperature. Besides, it features an anti-skid base that fits on your bed perfectly. A breezy inner cover sits between the bottom and the foam layer. The ultra-premium zipper cover provides the ideal protection at the top.
The therapeutic gel memory foam distributes your bodyweight uniformly throughout the mattress. Thus it helps to maintain the body temperature comfortable during the night.
The mattress’ orthopaedic nature maintains the natural spine alignment and relieves the pressure points. It helps eliminate body aches, whereby you feel fresh every morning.
The Zero Partner Disturbance feature does not cause any disturbance to your partner if you toss around restlessly on the mattress throughout the night.
The mattress comes with a smart zipper cover that can be removed and washed separately. It is also easy to separate the top layer from the bottom without removing the entire cover.
This mattress arrives from the manufacturer’s location directly to your home in a packed box. Thus, it is easy to set up. There is no need for assembling this mattress.
Pros: Good things
- This mattress features pressure relieving technologies to provide exemplary relief to orthopaedic patients.
- Harmful chemicals are not used in the manufacturing of this mattress. Hence, there are no toxic fumes or bad odour.
- The premium quality zipper cover is a welcome addition.
- Setting up this mattress is a breeze.
Cons: Poor things
- Some people feel that the thickness of the mattress should be reduced to six inches.
- Alternatively, the memory foam layer could have been thicker.
What we think? A medium-firm memory foam mattress, this product ranks as one of the most popular bed for orthopaedics.
Wakefit orthopaedic memory foam mattresses are amongst the best available in India. The highlight of this mattress is the excellent support they provide to orthopaedic patients and relieve their pains and aches.
This mattress is the ideal one to sleep on if you have a sore neck, lower back, or any other orthopaedic issues. The Wakefit mattress provides adequate relief to help alleviate stress to the pressure points across the entire body.
The best aspect of this memory foam mattress is that it induces peaceful sleep where people do not change their postures for as long as four hours. The level of comfort provided by this product is the reason for people enjoying such blissful sleep.
Much research has gone into the designing of this mattress. The manufacturer has brought in all the experience of experts and the feedback given by consumers into designing this memory foam mattress.
This mattress scores highly on the four principal factors for judging the efficiency of any bed.
- On the durability front, this high-density foam mattress is one of the best. The 10-year manufacturer warranty is ample proof of this fact.
- The mattress has a firm base form, thereby providing the maximum support to the spine.
- This memory foam has a more prominent cell structure compared to its peers. Hence, it results in higher airflow to keep you cool and comfortable.
- The foam is also soft enough not to push you up when you lie down. Therefore, it is one of the most comfortable mattresses available today.
This mattress comes with two covers. The inner cover is stitched to the bed and not removable. The outer cover is removable, thereby making it easy to wash separately.
Pros: Good things
- It supports the body well by adjusting to your body contours.
- This medium-firm mattress provides the best comfort to orthopaedic patients.
- Setting up this mattress is easy because it can be rolled and packed quickly.
- The mattress is one of the best-looking products in its category.
Cons: Poor things
- Not the ideal one for pregnant women because the body tends to sink into the mattress
- People have also complained about the pricing, as they feel it fluctuates frequently.
What we think? This mattress is a fantastic product because of its multi-utility. Orthopaedics benefit the most from such a medium-comfort bed.
Dreamzee is a famous memory foam mattress brand in India. This medium comfort mattress is ideal for orthopaedics because of the additional support it gives to their aching limbs and body.
One of the advantages of this memory foam mattress is that it is a reversible product. Generally, memory foam mattresses are not reversible. However, this Dreamzee reverses the trend by making this mattress reversible.
This aspect is significant because it ensures the longevity of the bed. Depending on your requirement and comfort required, you can reverse it and use it accordingly.
The mattress comes with an exquisite design that comes with five layers. The premium knitted fabric on both sides adds to its premium looks and increases the convenience aspect.
The base is in the form of bonded foam for providing softness and stability at the same time. The softy foam that sits on top of the base adds to the comfort. The cool memory foam at the top ensures proper airflow to maintain the body temperature.
The support layer at the bottom is made of re-bonded foam. It absorbs your weight and eliminates motion transfer. Thus, your tossing around in sleep does not disturb your partner.
This layer provides the ideal support to orthopaedic patients by providing additional support to body areas like the back and joints.
The quilted knitted breathable fabric at the top and the bottom allows free movement of air both ways. Besides, it adds to the attraction.
This mattress is available in all the four primary bed sizes in India. Besides, customers can give their specifications to the company and get a made-to-order mattress depending on their bed size and requirements.
This mattress reaches your doorstep directly from the manufacturer, thereby eliminating the middlemen in the process.
Pros: Good things
- The reversible nature of this mattress makes it one of the most versatile bed in India.
- The excellent foam used in this mattress is sturdy and soft at the same time.
- This mattress provides ideal support to orthopaedics.
Cons: Poor things
- This mattress is a heavy one and hence challenging to transport frequently.
- The non-foldable nature makes it unwieldy at times.
What we think? The impressive qualities of this mattress make it one of the best memory foam mattresses for orthopaedic use.
Choosing the ideal mattress can be a challenge. Some like it hard, whereas some like it to be soft. Children love it to be springy. Sleepyhead 3-layered orthopaedic memory foam mattress encompasses all these qualities to qualify as one of the best memory foam mattresses in India.
This memory foam is a medium-firm mattress, ideal for use by orthopaedic patients. It provides the necessary support to their aching joints. At the same time, it is rigid enough to offer optimum comfort to the spine and let it maintain the natural S-shape.
The firm foam base provides the ideal support and makes it stable. The memory foam in the middle layer offers the perfect softness for comfort.
The top layer is breathable, thereby allowing smooth airflow. The motion isolation feature allows both the partners to sleep peacefully despite one of them turning and tossing around.
The supportive foam base provides the kind of support required for 90% of body types without sacrificing cushiness and softness.
The soft memory foam layer allows you to sink into the mattress with the right amount of bounce. The memory foam adjusts to the body shape and provides ideal comfort to both partners.
This mattress does not have a high-density foam. The three substantial foam layers come with the perfect density levels to ensure complete comfort and convenience. The best aspect of this product is that it comes rolled and packed directly from the factory to your home.
The outer cover is washable unlike those available on traditional mattresses. As you can remove the cover and wash it separately, it takes care of the hygiene factor. Thus, you can keep your bed completely dust-free.
The foam layers measure 1.5 inches of memory foam, one inch of comfort foam, and 3.5 inches of support foam.
Pros: Good thing
- It offers the perfect firmness required for orthopaedic patients.
- This mattress is light when compared to the high-density memory foam mattress.
- The cover is of excellent material. It feels great to sleep on it.
- Children love the bounciness of the mattress.
Cons: Poor things
- The mattress comes with a white cover. As it can get soiled soon, a darker colour should have been appropriate.
- The mattress is not a reversible one.
What we think? Take Care memory foam mattress proves to be one of the best products for relieving back pain while sleeping.
This orthopaedic memory foam mattress is ideal for Indian use because it comes in a Diwan bed size, a unique piece of furniture in India.
The stellar qualities of this mattress make it popular among orthopaedics. The contouring support offered by the bed is to be experienced to believe it. It provides comprehensive support to people with shoulder and back pain by adjusting the foam to the body shape.
This mattress is also an excellent one for asthma patients because it protects from dust mites. The memory foam does not have a fibrous structure that provides the breeding ground for dust mites.
The mattress does not cause sweating of the body due to an enhanced airflow mechanism. Therefore, it discourages the growth of moulds, mildew, and fungus. In short, this mattress is amongst the most hygienic in India.
The mattress is made from natural and organic materials with little use of chemicals. Hence, it does not release toxic fumes and bad odour. Thus, it is an environmentally friendly mattress.
Orthopaedic patients adore the 100% spine support and posture correction feature. Hence, doctors recommend this mattress for all patients with joint pains and arthritis.
The motion isolation or Zero Partner Disturbance feature allows both partners to sleep peacefully throughout the night. One of the prominent highlights of this mattress is its reversibility.
Reversing the bed changes its comfort and convenience, but one can do so depending on the individual requirements.
The mattress has four layers with the high bonded foam forming the sturdy support base. The memory foam forms the second layer from the bottom to deliver absolute comfort.
The knitted top fabric enhances airflow to maintain body temperature at comfortable levels. The bounce-back technology makes the mattress soft but sturdy at the same time. The air mesh fabric on the sides is a fantastic arrangement.
Pros: Good things
- This mattress is comfortable for all body types.
- The reversible nature of the mattress provides the necessary versatility to cater to your different needs.
- The Take Care mattress distributes weight uniformly and, thus, relieves pain and stress.
- It is convenient to maintain a good posture while sleeping on this mattress.
Cons: Poor things
- Some patients find this mattress to be on the softer side to provide proper support for the back.
- Pricing fluctuations can put off many buyers.
What we think? This 8-inch memory foam mattress is a versatile product that adjusts itself to all body contours. Hence, it is recommended by medicos all over India for orthopaedics.
The Extra Sleep Premium memory foam mattresses are available in different sizes with this specific product coming in King Size. This mattress satisfies all the qualities required for an orthopaedic foam mattress.
- On the durability front, it is excellent with higher foam density.
- The firm base foam provides exceptional support to the spine.
- The cell size of this memory foam mattress is more significant when compared to others. Hence, it helps in regulating temperature better.
- On the comfort angle, it is incredible because the mattress pushes you up when you lie down on it.
The mattress comes with a 4-layer structure.
The soft knit side maintains the body temperature at optimum levels in all the seasons. The dense memory foam provides the ideal support to the spine by adjusting to the body contours perfectly.
The firm side helps to grip to the bed platform while helping you get Zero Disturbance Sleep. The high-density foam makes up the bottom layer of the mattress and adds to the structural stability.
The Wake-Up Sense mattress comes with a unique cooling technology that absorbs body heat and distributes it to maintain an optimum sleep temperature. The excellent design of the mattress supports the entire family from older people to kids equally.
The advanced features of this mattress help you sleep comfortably with minimum temperature fluctuations.
The differential pressure zone layer aligns your spine with maintaining its natural position, thereby ensuring the correct sleeping posture. It obliterates the pains and aches while eliminating stress at the same time.
The knitted Jacquard fabric provides the breathability quotient and enhances comfort. This mattress comes with long life, as is evident from the 10-year manufacturer warranty available with it.
Pros: Good things
- Optimum firmness to ensure proper support to orthopaedics
- Excellent softness to deliver comfort to other members of the family
- Exceptional product at the best pricing
- Motion isolation features provide sound sleep
Cons: Poor things
- Not a reversible mattress, and hence, lacks versatility
- Customers have complained of poor after-sales service
What we think? Though a bit on the slimmer side, the Durfi mattress ranks as one of the best orthopaedic memory foam mattresses for people with problems like slip discs.
Indians have a unique bone structure when compared to westerners. Hence, their orthopaedic requirements are different. The Durfi memory foam mattress is perfect for the Indian bone structure. Thus, it delivers the highest degree of comfort to orthopaedics.
The best part of this mattress is that it is not too soft and not too firm. The medium-firm quality of this mattress endears it to everyone. It also prompts doctors to advise orthopaedics to use this mattress for getting relief from their backaches and other joint pains.
The manufacturers have used cotton candy memory foam, a better version of the traditional memory foam found in other mattresses. This foam is resilient while providing optimum comfort. The advanced technology ensures the continuous circulation of air to maintain the temperature of the bed at optimum levels.
This mattress is a hypoallergenic mattress that does not attract dust mites to settle down. The bed does not cause much body heat, and thus prevents sweating of the body at night.
Therefore, there is no formation of moulds and fungus that can prove unhygienic. The highly breathable fabric ensures the proper airflow to ensure sound sleep at night. This mattress is also free from the menace of bed bugs.
The reversible nature of this mattress makes it one of the most sought-after beds in India by orthopaedics and healthy people, alike. The mattress is devoid of harsh chemicals. Hence, there are no toxic fumes to contend with, thereby making it an environmentally friendly bed.
The sag-free technology ensures longevity and provides the ideal support to all body shapes. The firmness of this mattress is suitable for maintaining a perfect posture while sleeping. It aligns perfectly with your body and keeps the S-shape of the spine.
Pros: Good things
- It ranks high on the comfortability quotient when compared to its contemporaries.
- The mattress’ medium-firm nature enables sound sleep.
- Hence, it is one of the best mattresses for those having back pain.
- It is an ideal mattress for people of all ages.
Cons: Poor things
- At 5-inches, it is not a very thick mattress.
- Does not come with a protective cover
What we think? Mattresses for orthopaedic use should not be soft or firm at the same time. They should adjust to the body contours. The Wake-Up bed thus qualifies as one of the best mattresses for orthopaedics because of its versatility.
Wake-Up Ortho Memory Foam King Size mattress comes with two different sides, the soft side, and the firm side. The soft knot fabric on both sides helps to maintain the body temperature at all times. The memory foam gives you a plush feel by providing the ideal softness for your body to sink in comfortably.
The high-density foam adds strength to the structure by making the bottom layer of the mattress align perfectly with the bed. It grips the bed platform tightly to ensure that the mattress remains stable even when your partner tosses around at night.
The orthopaedic memory foam mattress is manufactured from high-quality materials that enhance its durability. The high-density foam enhances its lifetime. The firm base foam lends classical support to the spine, thereby improving the overall posture.
The mattress is also soft enough to push tour body up while you plonk on the bed. This factor ensures maximum comfort.
The positive aspect of memory foam mattresses is that they align with the body structure perfectly by distributing the weight evenly. Hence, you do not experience any blood clots and restlessness.
The new technology mattress eliminates the creating of pressure points on your body to enhance your convenience and comfort. The cool topper material regulates the temperature of the body and the bed to provide an ambient sleeping environment.
The talking point of this mattress is the cooling technology that absorbs and redistributes body heat to enable you to sleep peacefully throughout the night. The bed is ideal for people of all ages. Hence, the entire family would love it. It supports all kinds of body posture.
This mattress comes with a unique Differential Pressure Zone layer to align your spine in a straight line, thereby improving your sleeping posture and eliminating all pains and aches. Thus, it is an excellent mattress for orthopaedic use.
Pros: Good things
- One of the softest mattress that provides excellent sleep to healthy people
- The adjustable nature of the memory foam makes it an ideal one for orthopaedic patients.
- Customers have appreciated the mattress stating that it has cured them of all back problems.
- Available in all sizes
Cons: Poor things
- The non-reversible nature of the mattress is a drawback.
- Though soft, it is not as smooth as the ones available in 5-star hotels.
The advantage of the ortho mattresses is that they are engineered to adjust to your sleeping position automatically. Therefore, it relieves the pressure points and ensures to deliver a comfortable sleeping experience.
The SleepX Ortho mattress is available in five different layers to provide lasting relief to your spine.
The soft Quiltech foam quilting at the top and bottom surfaces enhance the mattress’s softness while providing the necessary warmth during the winter months. The re-bonded foam provides the requisite firmness levels to make this mattress a stable one.
The Visco re-bonded layer on top of the resilience foam provides the cushioning to the memory foam layer that is placed over it. This memory foam is capable of adjusting to your body contours, thereby providing the perfect alignment for your spine irrespective of your weight.
The sidewalls come with minute perforations that allow the free movement of air through the different layers of foam. The breathability of this foam mattress is one of the highlighting aspects. Besides keeping your body fresh, it provides the necessary comfort during the summer months by maintaining the temperature levels.
This foam mattress does not have springs. Therefore, it is one of the most comfortable for couples, especially if one belongs to the tossing around type of sleepers. The Neem Fresche technology provides a pleasant sleeping experience by taking care of irritants like dust mites.
This mattress is available in a pre-assembled state. Hence, it is one of the most portable beds available today. On the durability front, it comes with a three-year manufacturer warranty.
Buyer’s Guide for Memory Foam Mattress in India
We spend one-third of our time on bed and therefore buying a suitable mattress is of significant importance. A lot of thought processes go into purchasing the ideal mattress for your home.
We shall look at all these aspects in brief before we proceed with the things to watch out for when purchasing the best foam mattress.
- Mattress Size – In India, mattresses are available in four sizes, single, double, queen size, and King size. Choose your mattress, depending on the bed size.
- Mattress thickness – It depends on the individual’s weight. Lighter individuals prefer slimmer mattresses, whereas more massive people opt for the thicker ones.
- Mattress firmness – It depends on the weight of the person and the sleeping position.
- Mattress Durability – Generally, a mattress lasts for around seven years. The memory foam mattress can last longer, depending on your usage.
- Body Support – It depends on the type of mattress you select. The memory foam mattress provides excellent support to the spine.
- Mattress Conforming ability – The memory foam and the latex mattress are the best when it comes to conforming with the body contours.
- Motion Isolation – The memory foam, coir, and latex mattresses offer the best motion isolation, whereas the spring mattresses are the worst in comparison.
- Edge Support – Generally, all mattress have thickened edges to help the bed last longer. Some of the all-latex or all-foam mattresses today do not have this feature.
- Temperature neutrality – Compared to other mattresses, the latex and the foam mattresses are the warmest because they have robust support cores.
- Odour Control – One can experience smelly odours initially when the mattresses are new. It subsides thereafter.
- Mattress weight – In comparison to other mattresses, the airbed, foam, and spring mattresses are lighter.
- Mattress noise – The foam and the latex mattresses make the least noise, whereas the adjustable air chambers in the airbed cause noise. The spring mattress can also make creaking sounds.
We have seen various aspects to consider when selecting mattresses for our beds. Let us now examine the different types of mattresses available in India before proceeding with the buying guide for foam mattresses.
Types of Mattress Available in India
The following types of mattresses are available in India.
- Coir mattress
- Spring mattress
- Foam mattress
- Re-bonded Foam mattress
- Memory Foam mattress
- Latex mattress
- Airbed mattress
We shall concentrate on the memory foam mattresses in this buying guide. These mattresses are the most popular today, especially amongst orthopaedic patients.
What is Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory Foam mattresses are mattresses with a difference. They come with an innovative open cell structure that helps to retain the pressure exerted by your body.
The best aspect is that it remembers the pressure points even after you leave the bed. As you rest again, it recollects them and adjusts accordingly. It is an excellent mattress for side sleepers and those who sleep on their backs/stomach.
Memory foam mattresses are the best for orthopaedic patients as it supports their spine and allows it to rest in the natural S-shape.
We shall now discuss the points you should concentrate on when purchasing a memory foam mattress. This buying guide now deals exclusively with foam mattresses.
Protector for Memory Foam Mattress
One should keep the memory mattress clean at all times to extend its longevity. Children and pets can make the mattress dirty.
Hence, it is advisable to use a waterproof mattress protector. One can also use a waterproof cover to prevent the stains from spilt snacks to seep into the mattress.
Memory Foam Mattress – Pros & Cons
- These mattresses mould themselves according to the body contours of the occupant. It balances the weight and distributes the pressure evenly. This high-conforming ability quotient of this product is its highlight.
- Doctors recommend the memory foam mattress for orthopaedic patients because they offer maximum comfort and convenience.
- It maintains body temperature as you sleep.
- Gel memory foam mattress can provide a cooling effect and remove sweating when sleeping.
- The polyurethane component in the foam makes it allergen-free.
- Initially, the mattresses can give out unpleasant odours. Hence, one should place these mattresses in a ventilated room for a few days before using them.
- This mattress might not be the best one for people who love to toss and turn around throughout the night.
- People prone to heating up should use a gel memory foam mattress instead of the traditional memory foam mattress to get relief.
How to Select Best Memory Foam Mattress Bed?
Now lets find out what are the different factors to consider while buying a memory foam mattress to suit your need.
1. Decide firmness based on sleeping position
Have you ever felt your back feeling stiff and painful as you wake up the morning? If this is a common occurrence, it is time you switched over to a memory foam mattress. Your sleeping position defines the type of memory foam mattress you select.
- People who sleep upright on their back need a medium-firm memory foam mattress for supporting their spines.
- Many of us sleep on our stomachs. Such people should opt for the firmer memory foam to provide maximum comfort.
- Side sleepers should opt for a soft memory foam mattress.
2. Right memory foam type for your need
At first glance, all memory foam mattresses seem alike, but it is not so. There are different types of memory foam with exclusive benefits.
However, the advantage is that it is an incredible mattress for people with dust allergies. A point of caution is that you should avoid this mattress if you are allergic to latex.
3. Memory foam temperatures and airflow
Mattresses usually contain materials that restrict the airflow, thereby locking the heat and make it uncomfortable for people who tend to heat up during their sleep. These options offer the best solutions.
Low-Density Memory Foam Improves Airflow And Keeps The Bed Cooler When Compared To Dense Foam Layers.
The thicker foam offers better support but fails to maintain proper airflow. The low-density foam mattresses are also light on the budget.
Gel memory foam is the best when it comes to providing comfort for people who heat up at night. The best aspect of gel foam is that it breaks up the dense foam and creates sufficient airflow without compromising on the comfort aspect. As it absorbs body heat, you enjoy a refreshing sleeping experience.
Latex foam enhances the breathability quotient because it does not conduct heat. Therefore, your mattress retails the same temperature regardless of the room temperature. Latex foam mattresses come with an aerated breathable structure to enhance your comfort levels.
4. Memory foam density – low, medium, high
Memory foam mattresses come with varying densities, low, medium, and high.
- The low-density memory foam is the most versatile of the three, as it allows the body to adjust to the memory foam better than the higher-density versions.
- The medium-density foam offers the best motion isolation. Hence, it is the perfect option for those sharing beds with their partners.
- Among the three categories, the high-density memory foam is the most durable of all. Hence, it lasts the longest.
This table should simplify it for you.
|Mattress Density||Weight per Cubic foot||Comfort Level||Ideal for|
|Low Density||Less than or equal to three pounds||Plush||a) Lightweight individuals|
b) Side and back sleepers
|Medium Density||Four to five pounds||Medium||a) Average weight individuals|
b) All types of sleepers
|High Density||Five pounds and more||Soft||a) Heavy individuals|
b) All types of sleepers
However, the latest memory foam mattresses do not come as a single piece of solid foam. It is a complicated structure made up of multiple foam layers of varying densities.
The base is usually high-density foam followed by dense layers of memory foam, latex foam, and gel memory foam. Thus, these memory foam mattresses last longer than other mattresses.
5. Memory foam thickness based on body weight
The thickness of the memory foam determines the comfort level. Generally, memory foam mattresses are between six to 14 inches in width.
Though thick mattresses are softer than the thin counterparts, all memory foam mattresses offer excellent comfort. The base foam is the principal structure with the additional levels adding to the softness of the bed.
You can refer to the following chart to select the ideal thickness for your memory foam mattress.
|Bodyweight (in pounds)||Mattress thickness|
|100 and below||Six to eight inches|
|101 to 150||Eight to ten inches|
|151 to 200||Ten to Twelve inches|
|201 to 250||Twelve to Fourteen inches|
|More than 250||Fifteen inches and more|
The following aspects are significant when it comes to selecting the ideal memory foam thickness.
Many People Confuse Thickness With Density. The Thickness Of Any Mattress Depends On The Number Of Layers In It. On The Other Hand, Density Refers To How Solid These Layers Are Put Together.
The thin mattress generally has a layer of dense support foam followed by a layer or two of foams with less density. Thicker mattresses have more comfort layers atop the base foam to deliver a fluffy feel.
Thicker mattresses cost more. Some beds come with layers of cooling gel or denser bases to provide greater comfort. A mattress below eight inches in thickness should not offer the ideal support.
The thickness should depend on individual tastes. There is no universal solution to treat pain, but a stable memory foam does prove helpful in keeping your back comfortable.
The above chart shows that the mattress’ thickness depends on the weight of the occupants. The more you apply pressure, the more is the compression. Hence, people who sleep with partners should go for thick mattresses by combining their weights to decide the thickness levels.
The Memory Foam Mattress Comes With Different Layers. The Base Layer Is Made Of Shock-Absorbing Foam For Enhanced Stability.
The transitional layers comprise memory foam and polyurethane foam. A hypoallergenic cover increases the comfort level considerably.
Some people prefer to go for a memory foam mattress topper to the existing sleeping set up instead of purchasing a new mattress. A mattress topper with a thickness of one to three inches enhances comfort levels.
6. Hypoallergenic memory gel foam
Mattresses keep collecting dust throughout their life. Hence, people with dust allergies find it challenging.
Memory foam is antimicrobial and therefore provides excellent relief from allergens. Gel memory foam is the best when it comes to showing resistance to dust mites.
The high-density foam mattress is also an excellent choice. However, nothing works as good as latex foam (not precisely a memory foam) bed when it comes to being hypoallergenic.
Generally, dust mites are the cause of most allergic reactions. The soft and fibrous materials on mattresses and pillows allow these mites to multiply.
The Memory Foam Mattresses Do Not Have Any Fibrous Materials. Therefore, These Allergens Do Not Grow On Memory Foam.
Gassing is another issue with mattresses made from chemicals. The latex foam mattress does not use any chemicals, thereby enabling the environment to remain clean. It benefits allergic and asthma patients.
Hypoallergenic Gel Foam Has A Cooling Layer That Prevents Sweating. Therefore, It Does Not Encourage The Growth Of Moulds And Mildew.
7. Ideal mattress size based on bed
In India, you generally have four bed sizes, single, double, King, and Queen. However, there are a couple of other sizes available. Choose the mattress according to the size of your bed. Ensure that it does not hang over the sides.
The different bed sizes and the ideal memory foam mattresses are as follows.
- California King size – 72 x 84 inches: People over six feet tall should opt for the California King size beds. These beds are longer than the traditional king-size beds by four inches but smaller in overall size. The bedroom should be larger than 120 (10 x12) square feet to accommodate these beds.
- King Size – 76 x 80 inches: The King mattresses are the widest ones sold on the market. It can easily accommodate two normal-sized persons comfortably. They are ideal for couples with a small kid, and the perfect bedroom size should be 120 square feet at the minimum.
- Queen Size – 60 x 80 inches: Couples should find the Queen size mattresses the most ideal. These sizes are popular in the US and in the large cities in India where people live in apartments. The Queen-size beds need a bedroom area of at least 100 square feet.
- Double Beds – 54 x 75 inches: You generally get to see these bed sizes in hotels and most of the apartments in India. Though couples can find it challenging to fit into it, these beds are the best option when the bedroom area is less than 100 square feet. It is also an ideal size for single adults and teenagers.
- Twin XL – 39 x 80 inches: College dormitories or student accommodation units provide such kinds of single beds. They are the best for tall teenagers who need longer beds without width. The bedroom area should be a minimum of 80 (8 x 10) square feet.
- Twin Beds – 39 x 75 inches: Though they are named as twin beds, these beds are single beds ideal for children and teenagers. One can join two of these beds and roughly measure up to a King bed. Such a single bed needs a bedroom area of around 80 square feet at the minimum.
- Toddler Beds – 27 x 52 inches: These beds are ideal for toddlers who have not graduated to the size of an adult. If you have a couple of children, you can opt for a bunk bed arrangement with one bed on top of the other. They save space while looking classy at the same time.
- Bunk Beds: Generally, you have bunk beds in rooms shared by two children/teenagers. Student accommodation facilities also offer bunk beds. The arrangement is such that two beds are placed on top of each other.
- Murphy Beds: This bed arrangement is becoming popular today. Some people also refer to it as wall beds. It is because you can size up the bed against the wall when not in use. It saves space. These beds come in varying sizes ranging from King-size to the Twin bed size, depending on your requirements.
8. Right foundation for memory foam mattress
It is significant to have the perfect foundation and frame for the memory foam mattress. The wrong foundation can result in an ill-fitting memory foam mattress that could void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Steel frames are good options. The modern-style platform beds are a good alternative. One can also plan for an adjustable foundation, including a recline to get the maximum comfort.
9. Budget to buy a mattress
The pricing of a memory foam mattress depends on various factors like its size, thickness, and foam types.
One should choose the bed that is perfect for their size. Yes, memory foam mattresses can be expensive, but they last longer than other mattresses, thereby evening things out in the long run.
Memory Foam Mattress – Right Way to Clean
A memory foam mattress is a substantial investment. Therefore, you should take care of your bed as much as possible.
Buy the memory foam mattress that is the most comfortable to clean. These following points can come handy in cleaning your memory foam mattress.
1. Vacuum cleaner for dry dirt, hair, and lint
A hand-held vacuum cleaner should be the best appliance to remove dirt, lint, and hair from your memory foam mattress. It should have a brush attachment to sweep over the sides and the surface of your bed.
2. Mild fabric cleaning solution for wet stains
A mild fabric cleaning solution should prove enough for cleaning stains. The ideal proportion should be one cup of water for half a cup of fabric cleaner. It is not advisable to use bleach.
When Spraying Over The Stains, Ensure That You Do Not Spray More Than You Need. It Is Because Your Memory Foam Absorbs The Solution And Can Take A Long Time To Dry.
Use a rag for scrubbing the stain gently with small circular motions. On removing the stains, use a wet cloth to remove excess solution and let it dry. Ensure that the stains do not dry out before you attempt the cleaning job.
3. Vinegar for tough stains
If the stains are tough to clean using a mild fabric cleaner, you can use a vinegar solution. Fill the spray bottle with vinegar and water in the proportion 1:3. Follow the procedure explained above to remove the stains.
4. White vinegar and baking soda for urine stains
Urine stains can be challenging to remove. The memory foam is absorbent. Hence, it absorbs the urine before you attempt the cleaning job. Initially, use paper napkins to remove as much urine as possible.
Cover The Urine Stains With White Vinegar From The Spray Bottle. Use Paper Napkins To Absorb The Vinegar.
Cover the stained portion with baking soda and let it stand. After about eight to ten hours, use a vacuum cleaner to remove the baking soda. Dry your foam mattress before putting the sheets on.
5. Dry your memory foam mattress
Use your hairdryer or a small fan to dry your memory foam mattress if it gets wet. Leave the bed in a ventilated room for a couple of days to let it dry out completely. Keep using your fan or hairdryer at regular intervals to hasten the drying process.
5 Myths about Memory Foam Mattress
We have discussed various aspects one should consider before purchasing a memory foam mattress. These mattresses are becoming popular. Hence, many myths about these mattresses float around everywhere. Let us debunk them one-by-one.
Myth-1: Memory Foam mattress can get hot when you sleep on them
Memory Foam mattresses are manufactured with advanced technology that makes the foam porous. It increases the airflow inside the bed by 95% when compared to other mattresses. The gel memory foam mattresses keep your body cool while you sleep on them.
Myth-2: Memory Foam mattresses emit foul odours
In the olden days, mattress manufacturers used ozone depletion agents, flame retardants and other metals like mercury, lead, and other toxic gases. These chemicals emit strong odours. The memory foam mattresses do not contain such chemicals. Hence, they do not emit any foul smell.
Myth-3: Memory Foam mattresses can sag with time
While this could be true of other types of mattresses like coir mattress, memory foam mattress does not sag with time. They adjust according to the body shape and support its structure. As you release the pressure, the bed retains its original position.
Myth-4: Memory Foam mattresses are not ideal for orthopedic patients
People feel that the memory foam mattress is soft. Hence, they might not provide the ideal support for orthopedic patients. It is not at all true as NASA developed the memory foam concept.
It automatically adjusts to the body contours, and the memory foam mattress supports the massive areas of your body like shoulders, back, and buttocks. It also allows the spine to rest in its natural S-shape. Hence, doctors recommend the use of a memory foam mattress for orthopaedic patients.
Myth-5: Memory Foam mattresses are expensive
Compared to coir and spring mattresses, the memory foam mattresses cost more. However, the longevity of the product makes it the right choice. One should also look at the comfort that memory foam mattress provides compared to the others. In the long run, memory foam mattresses are not at all expensive.
Over to You
In this post, we discussed the best memory foam mattresses for back pain in India. This should help you decide which firmness level is right for your sleep position.
Memory foam mattresses are excellent mattress for orthopedic patients because of its adjustable qualities as mentioned earlier. Let us know which one you bought for yourself!